Friday, May 28, 2010

I don't know...

I don't know... tough words to read. Tougher words to hear.

Honestly my first reaction to this statement is frustration and annoyance. No matter how many times I hear it said, it never sounds good. Easy to say, hard to hear.

Why do people say I don't know? Confidence? Selfishness? Knowledge? All of the above?

Its some sort of get out of jail free card with zero accountability for what's about to happen next. A response, check that, a reaction to a question that takes the easy way out. The frustration isn't because the other party doesn't know the answer, its that they choose not to. The receiving party gets cheated over not being met half way. How do we change this?

I don't know by itself is zero, unaccountable. By adding a word to the end of this phrase it becomes something fully accountable. Think about it, one word can equal the partnership in this conversation. There are a ton of words that can add instant accountability, what word would you choose?

I choose the word "yet" (though there's many more out there!). I don't know, yet. WOW! The impact this new phrase has on the answer to a question is AMAZING! Instant accountability! Responsibility on both sides of the conversation! Think about the power the word yet has. "I am not confident enough to provide a sufficient answer yet". "I haven't got enough info yet". "I'm not sure what to do in this situation yet." Whoa!

The next time we feel compelled to answer a question with I don't know, there is a challenge to include the word yet. A challenge to be accountable to the question asked. If you hear I don't know as an answer to one of your questions, speak up to include the word yet. Challenge the recipient to uphold the responsibility of your conversation. Think about what yet has in store. Think about what is possible in the word yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment