Monday, February 21, 2011

Something You Are

A couple of years back I learned a very valuable lesson, the difference between something you "do" and something you "are". I learned this in the context of coaching. Being a coach is something I am, not something I do. Since then it has been a never-ending journey to learn more about being not doing.

The fascinating piece is this learning applies to many other things. Whatever you study, craft, or author can be a result of who you are. What you practice, how you practice, or when you practice could become something you are. Your time spent with others or your conversations are possibly something you are. What makes all of this something you "are" vs something you "do"? I believe its intent. I believe its purpose. I believe its care.

Last week I had the honor to chat with several people inside and outside my business about why I write. It was so fascinating to hear people's personal stories of how one post or another "spoke to them" or how they found inspiration from reading. I received feedback on the "authenticity" and how reading it "felt like Craig". I was moved. Being an author is something I am, not something I do. My intent is not to write things that fix or state what is, but to ignite or challenge or think of what could be. My purpose is to engage an audience to challenge what's next and define it for themselves. My care is empowering people to see what is possible.

We have all heard the quote "it's not the destination, its the journey". Well something you do is a destination, something you are is a journey. Earlier on my life was all about destinations. Get there. Hit the target. Check it off the list. Move on. I was doing. Often times I would do because someone told me to do. Most of the time I'm not sure I even thought why I did what I did. Sure there was perhaps a motivation to get to the destination, but it never lasted. It had a beginning and an end, a short term satisfaction that left me with no real learning. As I have become a husband, a father, and a leader of others, all of a sudden the destinations don't mean as much. It's the journeys that I remember. The journeys provide a story, content that delivers education. They are inspiration, no beginning or end, limitless boundaries. Its the journeys of others or my own personal journeys that continue to challenge my thinking and expand my view. The journeys provide my intent, develop my purpose, and expand my care.  

Your homework:

Who are you?

What would happen if your journeys (are) replaced your destinations (do)?

What is your intent or purpose or care providing your journeys?

How can you best share who you are?

3 comments:

  1. Nice booster shot for my thinking, Coach.

    The "do/are" places are the extension of our daily "what/ hows"... People are dads, teachers, leaders, athletes. Its what we respond when someone asks up "what do you do?" What we ARE is a reflection of HOW we show up every day...and there in lies the spectrum of dads, teachers, leaders, athletes, all of us.

    Tomorrow is a new day of practice and being. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great one, brother. You got me thinking over my morning coffee. :) This does hit on some of what we were talking about the other day. This is one that I will come back to over and over, especially during my upcoming transition. The journey home, and the creation of a new life full of different experiences and opportunities. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Craig!
    I think the true accomplishment is certainly when we can take the "something we are" and bring it to the same level of "what we do."
    I feel this is something that takes time, and only some can reach.

    For me, who we are is a development of all our experiences and reactions to life. One can only hope to feel proud of this part of themselves at the end of the day, and hence feel proud of what they do in their everyday life.

    Love the post, I could certainly relate to it. You have great voice in your writing.
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete